Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Itsy Bitsy Siren

Maybe a somewhat boring existence. For several days now I have been watching the antics of a spider, yes a spider who has taken up residence under one of the eaves of my house. I have watched from day one when it began its first web straight through today ( 3 webs later ) and it may sound odd but this little arachnid sure has stamina. This morning for the first time I watched "the hunt" and it spurred me to write the following; I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.




The Itsy Bitsy Siren


Glistening filaments coated with dew,
suspending neat packages, not just a few
looks nearly abandoned during each daylight
yet a buzz of activity all through the night
.
When it seems to encourage every mosquito and midge
to try to fly through it and adhere to a ridge
tangled and snared like flying rats in a trap
their seconds are numbered before it's a wrap
.
Lighter than air and stronger than steel
a floating boudoir with some desirous appeal
or hence it must seem to each unknowing moth
who when injected with enzymes turns into a broth
.
Airborne pieces of lint and small bits of hay
are culled from her web all during the day
to prepare for the eve when it's time to clobber
unsuspecting prey who are turned into slobber
.
Eight shiny legs, slender and pointed,
appear carefully tended, almost anointed,
ready to scurry and work on demand
delicately placed, each on a strand
.
The dew that I mention is truly a foe
which causes her mansion to actually show
I think she's a widow but does never wail
and where she has been there's never a trail
.
Disgust and fear she instills in most men
almost as chilling as World War Twos Bren
looks tiny, petite, but has venomous airs
and all over her body she sports tiny hairs
.
A master at hunting, knows how to enthral
she'll take them all on, the big and the small
apparently fearless and on the ball
yet if she could write I know it'd be scrawl
.
Call me ridiculous, call me a fool
but things like this can make me drool
knowing that this spider is fully content
doing the only thing she's alive for, what she was meant
.
.
DS

4 comments:

poefusion said...

Excellent poem. I loved reading about the spider you've watched for three days as I sometimes like watching the spiders take up home in a dark corner just outside my living room window. The intricacy of their web is enough to marvel. I've heard each time their web is torn down they weave a different web but, I'm not sure how true that is. Thanks for sharing. Have a nice day.

anthonynorth said...

A beautiful touch of menace here - but also acceptance of the inevitability of it all.

MedStudentWife said...

I LIKE !!!

Can I be a spider ?

Actually they scare the williess - or they did and some still do.. I'm getting better.

I watched a tiny orb spider over 3 days wearve, last week, re-absorb the web and move to a new location and reweave. I had never seen that before.

I have a few "jumpers" around & they are my favourite spiders.

I hate water/boat spiders !!!!!

Part of my spider scaredness therapy is that I have an awesome spider tattoo.

When I lived in Kingston, one summer my apartment was infested with tiny black spiders.. the "cob web" type.. and we wont go into my summer with those spiders...

paisley said...

i had one living on my widow sill for quite some time... she is gone now,, but i encounter her babies every so often... i really enjoyed what you did with this....